Friday, April 5, 2013

Tasting - Veleta Brut Vino Espumoso Rosado


Name: Veleta Brut Vino Espumoso Rosado
Variety: Tempranillo (think?)
Region: South Central
Country: Spain
Year: NV
Price: $3.95

Shop/wine critic/Winery Review: Rosésalmon with copper reflections. Slow rising fine bubble that forms "lace" and "rosary". In the nose is complex and elegant with red fruit, citric, exotic, fresh flowers, and notes of dry fruits and dry flowers. Fresh, gentle, and alive. Perfectly integrated "perlage" with serious and subtle flavors of dry fruits, pomegranate and lemonade. Long lasting scent of flowers and herbs.

My Review: The first of many rose wines on the day.  First thing I noticed was that it wasn’t really a rose as it was a brown color.  Very odd and looked like someone mixed in some pulverized wood into it!  The smell was even weirder (just like that word).  It almost smelled like someone put a copper wine under my nose and I was sniffing that.  And then as I smelled it more it starting to smell like I drove by a dead skunk in the middle of the night.  (There are always dead skunks in my town so it’s a pretty common smell).  The taste didn’t really improve this wine either.  It was very light but it was very floral with some herby hints to it.  It was just a very odd wine that I was not enjoying.  A good wine to taste just for fun but wouldn’t suggest actually drinking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment