Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tasting - Canyon Road Chardonnay


Name: Canyon Road Chardonnay
Variety: Chardonnay
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $6.95

Shop/wine critic/Winery Review: Medium- bodied wine with notes of crisp apple and ripe citrus fruit with a hint of cinnamon spice. Delicious complement to grilled chicken, lighter pasta dishes or mild cheeses.

My Review: Oh Chardonnay, we run into each other again.  Another California Chardonnay too.  You know what that means??  Usually the oak flavors will hit you like a 18 wheeler.  With that being said this one was no tan 18 wheeler, it was more like a shopping cart with bumpers.  It has a nice fruity smell to, with hints of pear that I could pick out.  But the taste is what really took my by surprise.  It was a true medium body white wine, which never happens, with full flavor.  It wasn’t some wimpy Pinot Grigio but a complex version of a chardonnay grape.  It was a little bit more towards the semi-sweet side which wasn’t too bad except they forgot to balance it out.  I don’t mind the sweetness but it needed some acidity badly.  Without that, it didn’t seem refreshing to me and even though it was a good taste, the finish just didn’t do it for me.  I enjoyed the body but needed a little more acidity and then it would have been a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment