Friday, February 8, 2013

Tasting - Black Opal


Name: Black Opal
Variety: Shiraz
Region: South Eastern Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95

Shop/wine critic/Winery Review: The Black Opal wines are sourced from vineyards found in South Australia along the Limestone Coast, at Langhorne Creek and in the infamous Barossa Valley. Black Opal Shiraz is rich red in the glass. Aromas of blackberry, pepper and spice followed with rich plum flavors round out the palate. Soft tannins give structure to the fruit-driven palate.

My Review: I am not a huge fan of Shiraz so I was interested in this wine but not too excited by it.  It has a Shiraz smell with spices and pepper.  I will say that those smells were not overpowering but lingered on your nose at the end.  The taste was definitely spice with a very strong finish, 45 second to a minute.  You could taste the tannins within the wine but it was not too strong.  It is definitely a full body Shiraz but doesn't quite have the bit of most.  I enjoyed this wine for its full body but it was just not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment