Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tasting - Villa d’Orvieto


Name: Villa d’Orvieto
Variety: Grechetto, Procanico, and Malvasia
Country: Italy
Year: 2011
Price: $6.95

Shop/wine critic/Winery Review: It’s a blend of Grechetto, Procanico (Trebbiano), and Malvasia. Fresh and crisp, it has a beautiful, floral bouquet. It is wonderful with appetizers, fish, chicken, and salads.

My Review: The first thing I noticed when this wine got poured was the fact that the color was almost opaque.  And the smell kind of reflected that.  It had a little sweeter smell than the sparkling wine but just a hint but that was all I could get.  There was no complexity only simplicity on the nose.  When I got into the taste I really couldn’t pick anything out.  It was light on the tongue, on the finish and it didn’t stay with me.  This might have been ok if I was drinking it on a warm summer’s day but it snowed this morning!  As I drank it I thought about how wonderful this would be with some cheese, crackers, maybe a pear or apple slices.  But that was the problem; this wine was so light that you would need to have it with food to give it a little more body and to maybe use it as a pallet cleanser between tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment