Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tasting - Maipe Chardonnay


Name: Maipe
Variety: Chardonnay (with a little Voignier mixed in)
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2012
Price: $7.965

Shop/wine critic/Winery Review: Brilliant yellow golden color with green hints. The wine is crisp and filled with white peach, pear, green apples flavors, toasty vanilla. Elegant and luscious wine, well balanced. Crisp and long finish. Pairs well with creamy soups, pork, veal, vegetables.

My Review: Now that I am getting more knowledge about wines, the first thing I asked was it aged in oak?  Only 30% of this was aged in oak which meant there would be hints but it wouldn’t knock you out with it flavors.  I was excited about this because too much oak in Chardonnay just turns me off  So on the smell I definitely got hints of the oak barrels but it doesn’t overwhelm.  It actually just tingles the nose enough to be enjoyable.  In the taste phase, the character from the oak comes through but only just slightly at the beginning.  It then fades off and leaves you with a light finish that is quite enjoyable.  I thought it sat nicely on the tongue and the best part of this wine is that it would be very enjoyable by itself (siting in a rocking chair watching the sun set).

No comments:

Post a Comment