Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tasting - Monte Aman Tempranillo


Name: Monte Aman
Variety: Tempranillo
Region: Arlanza
Country: Spain
Year: 2009
Price: $5.95

Shop/wine critic/Winery Review: Fermentation of selected grapes in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperature. Aging in American oak casks for 5 months followed by 3 months in the bottle before being released in the market. Inky ruby. Ripe cherry and plum on the nose. Smooth and fleshy, with deep dark fruit flavors complicated by bitter chocolate and anise. A spicy quality adds lift and focus to the weighty fruit. Offers an appealing mix of power and energy and drinks very well right now.

My Review: MMMMMMM, Tempranillo, how I love this grape!  I started with a smell of this and the first thing I notice is that there was NO spice.  Not even a hint which is something I am usually really good at catching (which I hope meant it wasn’t in there).  It all has some nice cherry hints on the nose which was very predictable but nice.  The taste of this wine totally caught me off guard when I first tried it.  WOAH Chocolate!  It literally hit the tongue and I thought I was tasting a chocolate wine.  It really caught me off guard it was that awkward chocolate and alcohol mix.  Now as I tasted it a few more times, the chocolate did fade away and I got more cherry in it but the finish was all chocolate.  I was surprised, it did grow on me and I really enjoyed it.  This was actually the bottle I bought and for its price there was no way I was going to beat it!  I am interested if the next time I taste it will it still taste like chocolate?  And of course, I cannot wait to open it with some food because I think this wine will go great with any meal!

Food Review (link to when I actually open it)

No comments:

Post a Comment